- Atopic Dermatitis (AD) is the most common type of eczema. In Canada, the lifetime prevalence is higher than the worldwide average. It is estimated that up to 17% of Canadians suffer from AD at some point in their lives.
- Contact Dermatitis is a red, itchy rash caused by a substance that comes into contact with your skin (either allergic or irritant). The number of cases of contact dermatitis in Canada is not currently known but according to some US statistics, skin disorders comprise more than forty-five percent of all occupationally related diseases.
- Up to 22%, or 1 in 5 women, suffer from acne in adulthood compared to 3% of men. About a third of all acne patients seen by doctors are 25 years old or older.
- Psoriasis affects 1 million Canadians and 125 million people worldwide.
- Up to 30% of patients with psoriasis have or will have arthritis and 5–10% may have some functional disability from arthritis of various joints.
- Having psoriasis may increase the risk of developing other chronic systemic diseases, including heart attack and stroke, diabetes, cancer, liver disease and other serious health conditions.
- Itchy, painful, bleeding lesions
- Blackheads, whiteheads, cysts
- Depressed (pitted) scarring or elevated (thickened) scarring
- Blood-shot eyes that feel gritty
- Bumps, redness, tiny pus-filled pimples
Regardless of what condition, disease, or health concern you’re dealing with, the root causes can be traced directly back to the same underlying factors because the body is ONE whole integrated system.
And yes, this includes your skin.
Patients with chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis are also at greater risk of developing other chronic systemic diseases than the general population. Findings have reported links between these and a number of serious health conditions, which include cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Crohn’s, cancer, obesity and liver disease. It is also associated with metabolic syndrome, which is a group of risk factors that tend to occur in combination and raise the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
The key to healthy skin isn’t simply about dealing with the symptoms topically by lathering on the latest potions or skin creams, or taking dangerous antibiotics or strong liver-damaging medication.
It’s time to realize that good skin comes from the inside out, not the outside in.
At the Functional Health Institute, we take an integrative, science-based healthcare approach to your health concerns. We look ‘upstream’ to consider the complex web of interactions in your history, physiology, and lifestyle that are contributing to your symptoms.
We utilize cutting-edge testing and diagnostic tools to uncover the root cause of WHY you are facing these issues. We then, in partnership with YOU, come up with a plan of action to resolve your symptoms and regain your HEALTH. Call us today to schedule a personal health consultation and we will sit down with you to help determine how we can help with your health goals.